Backing up FlexiLayouts
FlexiLayout Studio lets you create backup copies of FlexiLayouts and view differences between different versions of a FlexiLayout. These backup copies are stored in projects, which can contain an unlimited amount of backup copies. However, projects can only contain one current version that can be used by users.
- A version number that serves as the copy's identifier. This number is generated automatically and cannot be edited.
- The date and time when the backup copy was created.
- The date and time when the last changes were made to the copy.
- A comment (the Comment property of the FlexiLayout, click FlexiLayout → Properties... and select the General tab to view or edit).
Backup copies can not be edited. You can replace the current version with a backup copy using the Restore command (see the Backup Versions dialog box section of this article for details).
Creating backup copies of FlexiLayouts
Backup copies can be created manually or automatically.
1. Creating backup copies manually
Complete the following steps to create a backup copy of a FlexiLayout:
- Click Create backup... on the Project menu.
- In the dialog box that opens, you can specify a comment to the backup copy. This comment will replace the Comment parameter of the original FlexiLayout.
- Click the Create button to create the backup copy.
After the backup copy has been created, you can continue working on the current version of the FlexiLayout.
2. Creating backup copies automatically
Backup copies of FlexiLayouts can be created automatically when FlexiLayouts are exported. To set up automatic backups, follow the instructions below:
- Click Tools → Options to open the Options dialog box and select the Other tab.
- Select one of the following options from the Create backup version on export drop-down list:
- Always ask (default)
If this option is enabled, a dialog box asking whether you would like to create a backup copy will open every time you use the Export... command to export a FlexiLayout. If you enable the Always do the selected action on Export option in this dialog box, the program will remember your choice (replacing the Always ask setting with Always create or Never create, depending on the option you select). Click the Create button to open the backup dialog box.
- Always create
The backup dialog box will open every time you use the Export... command to export a FlexiLayout.
- Never create
Backup copies of FlexiLayouts will not be created automatically.
- When creating a backup copy, you can specify a comment to the backup copy. This comment will replace the Comment parameter of the original FlexiLayout.
You can use the Backup Versions dialog box (Project ► Backup Manager...) to manage your backup copies of FlexiLayouts.
Backup Versions dialog box
The Backup Versions dialog box contains a list of backup copies of the current FlexiLayout and lets you delete copies or roll back the current version to one of the copies. You can also view differences between the current version of the FlexiLayout and one of the backup copies.
To roll back the current version to one of the backup copies, click the Restore button.
Important!The rollback operation replaces the current version with the selected backup copy. Any changes to the current version will be lost, and this operation cannot be undone.
To delete a backup copy, click the Delete button.
To view the differences between the current version of a FlexiLayout and a backup copy, click Show changes (see the Viewing changes to the FlexiLayout tree section of this article).
Backup copies listed in the Backup Versions dialog box can be sorted by the values of the list's columns.
Viewing changes to the FlexiLayout tree
You can view differences between the current version of the FlexiLayout and the backup copy as a list of elements and blocks that have one of the following statuses:
- Deleted elements and blocks are present in the backup copy but are absent from the current version.
- Added elements and blocks are present in the current version but are absent from the backup copy.
- Modified elements and blocks are present in both the backup copy and the current version, but some of their properties have been changed (click to view the changes).
If changes were made to a group of elements, the entire group (including child elements) will be displayed in the list. Elements and blocks that did not change will not be included in the list. To sort items by name or the type of changes made, click the title of the corresponding column.
To open an element or block in the FlexiLayout tree, double-click it in the list. To open the properties dialog box of an element or a field on the tab that contains the modified property, double-click the property in the detailed list of changes.
11/10/2020 12:08:04 PM