Increasing Processing Speed
The speed of processing depends on the quality of images (see our Source Image Recommendations) and on the settings used during processing. To increase the speed of processing, you can also turn off some unnecessary functionality.
The following recommendations are common for all types of documents. No matter which documents you process, we recommend that you select the correct settings:
- ABBYY FineReader Engine 12 provides a set of predefined profiles which are designed for the main usage scenarios. Most of the profiles come in two forms: with the settings optimized for the best quality of the resulting document or with the settings optimized for the highest speed of processing. Try the profile optimized for speed. You can find the list of available predefined profiles in Working with Profiles.
- Specify the correct recognition language. Incorrect language can significantly slow down documents processing. The more recognition languages are selected, the less the speed of processing.
- Use FRDocument object for processing multi-page documents and BatchProcessor object for processing large amounts of one-page or several-page documents because, in this case, parallel processing can be used. See Parallel Processing with ABBYY FineReader Engine for details.
- Specify appropriate parameters of analysis and recognition. For example, if you know that the document does not contain tables, set the DetectTables property of the PageAnalysisParams object to FALSE. If the documents have the correct orientation, do not set the CorrectOrientation property of the PageProcessingParams object to TRUE.
You may use or not use these settings depending on the type of processing documents and the result you want to receive:
- If you work with black-and-white images or the color of images is not important, set the DiscardColorImage property of the PrepareImageMode object to TRUE.
- Set the UseFastBinarization property of the PrepareImageMode object to TRUE. In this case, ABBYY FineReader Engine will use algorithms for fast image binarization; however, binarization quality may deteriorate.
- If orientation detection is performed during document processing (IPagePreprocessingParams::CorrectOrientation property is TRUE), you can select fast orientation detection mode: set the OrientationDetectionMode property of the OrientationDetectionParams object to ODM_Fast.
- Set the EnableTextExtractionMode property of the PageAnalysisParams object to TRUE. This will speed up the process of document analysis.
- Set the FastObjectsExtraction property of the ObjectsExtractionParams object to TRUE. This will speed up objects extraction.
- Run recognition in fast mode by setting the Mode property of the RecognizerParams object to RM_Fast. Note that using fast mode may reduce recognition quality.
- You can turn off some of the properties of the DocumentStructureDetectionParams object if your documents do not contain any elements of this type (e.g., it does not have footnotes or a table of contents). In this case, document synthesis will speed up.
- You can speed up the stage of document synthesis even more if formatting and document structure is not really important for your documents. If you set the DetectFontFormattingAtPageLevel property of the SynthesisParamsForPage object to TRUE, you can then turn off the detection of font parameters and document structure during document synthesis (set DetectFontFormatting and DetectDocumentStructure of the SynthesisParamsForDocument object to FALSE). This way is used in some of the predefined profiles. You can additionally set the parameters of the FontFormattingDetectionParams object.
- If you are going to export a document to TXT format or PDF ImageOnly format, you may fully omit the stage of document synthesis. Document synthesis information is not used during export to these formats.
- If you export recognized documents to PDF format, set the Scenario property of the PDFExportParams object. This property optimizes export for some parameters: quality, size of the file, or/and speed of export. You can select the PES_MaxSpeed as the value of the property for the fastest speed of export.
- If you export large documents (50 pages or more) to PDF, using ExportFileWriter is highly recommended. The recognized data will be saved into PDF in portions, which will dramatically increase the export speed. See Exporting Large Documents for details.
3/24/2023 8:51:52 AM