Installing the ABBYY FineReader Engine Library
The first step of distribution of applications using the ABBYY FineReader Engine library is installation of the application and the ABBYY FineReader Engine library on the local disk of the workstation.
After installing your application on a workstation, you should install the ABBYY FineReader Engine library. It may be installed in automatic or manual mode.
See for details:
- Installing the ABBYY FineReader Engine Library in Automatic Mode
- Installing the ABBYY FineReader Engine Library in Manual Mode
- It's best to use the Network license. With it, the Licensing Service and the ABBYY FineReader Engine library are installed separately, which ensures continuous operation of the ABBYY FineReader Engine components. As an example of working with Network license in Docker containers, see Running ABBYY FineReader Engine 12 inside a Docker container.
- Installing the latest version of ABBYY FineReader Engine over the previous version is not supported. In this case, you have to reinstall ABBYY FineReader Engine.
On the workstation, the following components should be installed:
- Microsoft® Internet Explorer 8.0 or higher
- If your application uses any of the ABBYY FineReader Engine methods producing user interface elements (dialogs), e.g., Pattern Training, User Pattern, Dictionary dialogs
- Windows Common Controls must have version 5.80 or later.
- Rich Edit Control must have version 3.0 or later.
Full control permissions for the following folders are required:
- %TEMP% folder
- folder %ProgramData%\ABBYY\SDK\12\FineReader Engine
- folder %ProgramData%\ABBYY\SDK\12\Licenses (required for license server, optional for workstations)
All users running your application should have read&execute and write permissions to:
- %ProgramData%\ABBYY folder.
The following registry branches should be accessible from the workstation:
- "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ABBYY\SDK\12\FineReader Engine" — full control
- "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ABBYY\SDK\12" — full control for installation only
- "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ABBYY\SDK\12" — full control for installation only