If areas are detected incorrectly
Verification Station analyzes page images prior to OCR and detects different types of areas on these images, specifically text, picture, background picture, table, and barcode areas. This analysis determines which areas will be recognized and in what order. In the user interface, different area types are distinguished by the colors of their borders.
If you click on an area, it will be highlighted and will become active. You can also navigate areas by pressing the Tab key. The areas' numbers determine the order in which they are selected when the Tab key is pressed. By default, these area numbers are not visible in the Image pane, but you can view them in the Area Properties pane of each area. Area numbers will appear on areas when the Order Areas tool is selected.
The tools for drawing and editing areas manually can be found on the toolbar at the top of the Image pane and on the pop-up toolbars of the text, picture, background picture, and table areas (select an area to view its pop-up toolbar).
Once you have adjusted the position or changed the type of an area, be sure to recognize the image again.
You can use area editing tools to:
- Create a new area
- Adjust area borders
- Add or remove parts of areas
- Select one or more areas
- Move areas
- Reorder areas
- Delete areas
- Change the orientation of text in an area
- Change the color of area borders
- Select one of the tools on the toolbar at the top of the Image pane:
draws a recognition area.
draws a text area.
draws a picture area.
draws a background picture area.
draws a table area.
- Hold down the left mouse button and move the mouse pointer to draw an area.
Tip. New areas can be drawn without selecting a tool from the Image pane toolbar. You can draw an area on the image using one of the following key combinations:
- Ctrl+Shift draws a text area.
- Alt+Shift draws a picture area.
- Ctrl+Alt draws a table area.
- Ctrl+Shift+Alt draws a background picture area.
You can change the type of an area. Right-click the area whose type you want to change, click Change Area Type To on the shortcut menu, and select the desired area type.
- Place the mouse pointer on an area border.
- Hold down the left mouse button drag the border in the desired direction.
You can simultaneously adjust the vertical and horizontal borders of an area by placing the mouse pointer on a corner of the area.
- Select the or tool on the toolbar of a text, picture or background picture area.
- Place the mouse pointer inside an area and select a part of the image. This segment will be added to or deleted from the area.
- Adjust the area border if necessary.
- These tools are only available for text, picture, and background picture areas. Area segments cannot be added to or deleted from table or barcode areas.
- Area borders can also be adjusted by using sizing handles. The resulting segments can be dragged in any direction using the mouse. To add a new sizing handle, place the mouse pointer on the desired point on the border while holding down Ctrl+Shift (this switches the pointer to crosshairs) and click the border. A new sizing handle will appear on the area border.
- Select the , , , , , or tool on the toolbar at the top of the Image pane and click the areas you want to select while holding the Ctrl key. To remove an area from the selection, click it again.
- Select an area and drag it while holding the Ctrl key.
- Select the tool on the toolbar at the top of the Image pane or click Area > Reorder Areas.
- Select the areas in the order in which their content should appear in the output document.
The areas are automatically numbered from left to right during page analysis, regardless of the direction of the text on the image.
- Select the areas you want to delete and press the Delete key.
- Select the areas you want to delete, right-click one of them, and click Delete on the shortcut menu.
- Select the tool and click the areas you want to delete.
To delete all areas:
- Right-click anywhere inside the Image pane and click Delete Areas and Text on the shortcut menu.
Deleting an area from an image that has already been recognized will also delete all text from that area in the Text pane.
- Right-click an area and click Properties on the shortcut menu to display its properties in the Area Properties pane. In this dialog box, select the desired text orientation from the Orientation drop-down list.
For more information about editing text properties in text areas, see Editing area properties.
- Click Tools > Options... to open the Options dialog box and click the Areas and Text tab.
- Select an area whose color you want to change and then select the desired color.