How to Configure E-mail Processing
ABBYY FineReader Server 14 provides the following e-mail functionality:
- Importing attachments from e-mail messages
(the Get images from: Exchange mailbox or Get images from: POP3/IMAP E-mail Server option on the 1. Input tab of the Workflow Properties dialog box)
- Sending output documents by e-mail
(the Send output file via Exchange Server or Send output file via SMTP Server option in the Output Profile Settings dialog box of the workflow properties)
- Sending notifications to the administrator
(the Notify the administrator if a failure occurs and Notify the administrator when all jobs have been processed options in the FineReader Server Properties dialog box). FineReader Server supports sending notifications to the administrator via the Microsoft Exchange e-mail server or via SMTP server.
Note. If using e-mail functionality via Microsoft Exchange Server, Microsoft Outlook 2016 or later must be installed on the computer with the Server Manager.
To configure your Exchange e-mail client...
Important! We recommend against using an Exchange mailbox folder as the Input folder for images.
The e-mail account must be configured correctly on the computer with the Server Manager for the FineReader Server to be able to process and send e-mail messages via Microsoft Exchange Server. To configure the e-mail account:
- In the Control Panel, click Services and then make sure that the ABBYY FineReader Server 14 – Server Manager service is configured to run under a domain user account. If, during installation, you chose to run the service under a Local System account, you must restart it under a domain user account (see Restarting Services under a user account).
- On the Microsoft Exchange Server computer, set up a mailbox or several mailboxes for the domain user account under which the ABBYY FineReader Server 14 – Server Manager service is running.
- On the computer where the Server Manager is installed, log on to Windows by using the same user account under which the ABBYY FineReader Server 14 – Server Manager service is running, and start Microsoft Outlook.
Important! Microsoft Outlook has to be started under this user account on this computer at least once before the workflow is set up.
- Configure Microsoft Outlook to connect to Microsoft Exchange Server. You will need to provide the name of the Exchange Server computer and the mailbox on the Exchange Server. If you wish to use mailboxes other than the default mailbox, you should first connect these mailboxes to the current account in Microsoft Outlook.
- After the setup is complete, verify that you can send and receive mail. You can then close Microsoft Outlook.
Note. When configuring the workflow to monitor an Exchange Mailbox, you will be prompted to enter the path to the mailbox folder. To be able to navigate to the folder using the Browse for folder dialog box of the Remote Administration Console, you must first connect the desired mailbox in Microsoft Outlook on this computer. Alternatively, you can enter the name of the mailbox folder manually in the following format: Username\Folder. For example: FineReader Server\Inbox.
Note. If the Use Cached Exchange Mode option is enabled in the settings of the Microsoft Outlook account, you will need to close Microsoft Outlook while setting up e-mail processing.
To set up import of messages from the POP3 / IMAP e-mail server...
- Create a new workflow or modify an existing one (see Creating a New Workflow). In the drop-down list of the1. Input tab of Workflow Properties dialog box, select Get images from:POP3 E-mail Server or IMAP E-mail Server.
- Enter the address of the e-mail server and, if necessary, change the port number.
- Enter the user name and password to log in.
- For the IMAP server, click the Browse... button and select a directory that will be used to obtain mail from.
- Click OK on the 1. Input tab of Workflow Properties dialog box.
Note. If all the settings are correct, but the FineReader Server is unable to retrieve messages from POP3/IMAP e-mail server, make sure that a firewall does not block connection with the e-mail server. See the Troubleshooting section for details.
To configure document publishing to the SMTP server...
- Create a new workflow or modify an existing one (see Creating a New Workflow). In the Output Profile Settings dialog box, select Send output file via SMTP server and click E-mail Account.
- In the E-mail Account dialog box that opens, enter the address of the SMTP server and, if necessary, change the port number.
- Enter the sender address and the password. The password may not be required depending on SMTP server settings.
- Click OK in the Output Profile Settings dialog box.
Note. If all the settings are correct, but the FineReader Server is unable to send messages via SMTP server, make sure that a firewall does not block connection with the e-mail server. See the Troubleshooting section for details.
Note. If the workflow receives input images via an Exchange e-mail server, you don't need to set up this workflow to publish documents to the SMTP server.